Trust Rooter Solutions Los Angeles for All Your Garbage Disposal Needs
Garbage disposals are convenient appliances that are easy to use, but which can become very dangerous if not handled properly. If you have a problem with your disposal, do not attempt a DIY fix. The blades can cause extremely serious injuries. Fortunately, Rooter Solutions’ Los Angeles garbage disposal repair professionals are here to help. Our licensed plumbers can fix any problem and get your garbage disposal working again.
Some of the most common garbage disposal problems that require calling a repair technician include:
- Clogging: Garbage disposals are highly effective at grinding up food waste. However, after all that waste is ground up, a lack of water can cause it to get stuck in the P-trap. Food waste may also build up over time in the drain trap and waste line. Clogs can occur in various parts of the drain system, so, if the disposal is starting to drain slowly, it’s best to call a professional who is experienced with garbage disposal repair.
- Noise: If the motor is making a loud humming noise but you don’t hear the unit grinding up food, it is probably jammed. A jam usually involves a stuck inner flywheel or grinding plate. A garbage disposal also has a built-in circuit breaker that shuts it down to prevent burnouts and other damage.
- Bad Odors: Food may get trapped anywhere in the drain pipe. It might not be enough to form a clog, but decaying food can start to rot in the pipe and become very smelly. There are lots of home remedies out there, but persistent odors may require a professional hand for a more thorough cleaning.
- Pooling Water: Whether water leaks from the garbage disposal or pools up under the sink, the end result can be major water damage. Water can warp cabinet materials, cause odors, and lead to mold growth and pest infestations. Common leak points include the drainage hose, a damaged outer casing, and loose plumbing connections.
- Garbage Disposal Doesn’t Turn On: If the unit doesn’t turn on, make sure it’s off and check to see if it is plugged in. A tripped breaker is another possible cause. Press the reset button on the outlet or the disposal and try again. If it still doesn’t work, the unit may be burnt out and need to be replaced.
There are various other problems that can require garbage disposal repair or replacement, including corrosion. A unit can wear over time no matter how well you care for it.
Use Your Garbage Disposal Wisely
A common cause of garbage disposal repair issues is using the appliance improperly. Light food scraps are best for grinding. To avoid or limit problems, do not place oil that’s cooling, butter, and other fats into the disposal. Pasta, rice, and other starchy foods—as well as fibrous items like banana peels, carrots, or celery—should not be put into a garbage disposal either. Also, never put in bones, egg shells, seafood shells, or non-food items such as glass or plastic.
When Is It Not Worthwhile to Fix My Garbage Disposal?
Customers often rely on us for garbage disposal repair in Los Angeles. However, there are times when it’s best to replace your unit instead. It can be difficult to repair a cracked garbage disposal. If it is frequently clogging, jamming, or slow, your repair technician may suggest a replacement. A noisy disposal or one with a leak that’s difficult to repair might also be one that is near the end of its life. Replacement can provide you with a more reliable system that not only frees you of multiple repairs, but has more features and benefits over older models.
Call Rooter Solutions for Los Angeles Garbage Disposal Repair
Garbage disposals can last for many years if used properly. However, if you’ve been careful with it and your disposal is struggling with small scraps of food, replacement is the best option. Our licensed technicians can repair your garbage disposal in a wide range of situations. Feel free to ask questions about how you can make it last longer. Whether you need a repair or replacement, you can expect professional work at reasonable prices. Call Rooter Solutions Los Angeles at 310-881-3966 to discuss your garbage disposal issues and request service.